|Job Title:||FACILITY MANAGER|
|Reports To:||District Manager|
|Priority Application Deadline:||September 6, 2022|
|Preferred Start Date (negotiable):||November 1, 2022|
Please send cover letter and resume to Susan Alexander at email@example.com with the subject line “FM Position”
The LRSWMD is a 12-town union municipality with a population of approximately 28,000 and is overseen by a Board of Supervisors comprised of a representative from each town. The Facility Manager (FM) directs and ensures the successful daily operations of LRSWMD’s five recycling locations and the Lamoille Soil composting facility. The FM is responsible for adherence to State, Federal and District regulations executed in a manner that promotes safe operations and supports the LRSWMD Mission to reduce the quantity and toxicity of trash generated and beneficially reuse food scraps. This position includes direct supervision of employees including scheduling, training, and performance evaluations. The work environment is a hybrid of both office and on-site at LRSWMD locations and occasionally off-site for meetings and trainings. As liaison between the LRSWMD office and the facility staff the FM is considered part of the management team. Operational budgets and monthly financial monitoring are coordinated with the Operations Administrator. All programs and projects run through the facilities are supported by the Outreach Coordinator. The FM reports directly to the District Manager. Weekend hours are required.
- Leadership: ability to train and direct staff in safe operations, provide clear expectations and monitor performance and abilities, identify deficiencies and work towards creative solutions, model behaviors that conform with LRSWMD policies to achieve our mission
- Organization: must be able to track 2 dozen recycling streams, schedule staff and vendors to meet operational and program goals, establish preventative maintenance schedules, forecast needs and supplies, bring focus and attention to detail to daily operations
- Interpersonal Communications: ability to provide an excellent customer experience, respond to negative comments or customer complaints, and maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment for staff.
- Technical Communications: Research, read and comprehend regulations, equipment manuals, and contracts, provide clear and concise written and verbal instructions, create documents for staff to easily consume and follow, produce professional business documents such as correspondence, emails, memos and reports.
- Reasoning: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and convert them into a work product.
- Mathematical: A sound understanding of basic mathematical processes necessary to produce reports, review and verify invoices, prepare shipping documents, monitor point-of-sales cash and charge transactions, calculate percentages and volumes.
- Character: A strong work ethic and high level of self-motivation with the ability to operate both independently and in collaborative team endeavors.
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrated computer proficiency and competence with the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Mechanical: Knowledge of operation and maintenance of heavy-duty vehicles (dump body, large pick-up), wheel loader, skid steer, baler, compactor and ability to operate each safely.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, direct and oversee all facility activities including scheduling, supplies, equipment repairs, productivity, and facility maintenance
- Provide for staff training on daily operations, organizational policies, safety, and record keeping
- Annually review and update Operation Manuals with employees and recommend policy or program changes as appropriate
- Prepare budgets as regards the operation of the facilities and special programs and monitor budgets through monthly financial reports
- Serve as liaison with contractors and vendors and oversee successful completion of contracts and agreements
- Serve as first contact with the general public at the facilities as regards complaints or problems
- Monitor operational efficiencies, identify deficiencies and propose solutions
- Maintain state certifications and local permits
- Other duties as they arise that could be expected in this position
The FM supervises approximately seven full-time and 5 part-time employees in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable labor and safety laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; creating work plans and goals and monitoring performance; addressing complaints, resolving problems and making decisions on using resources as needed. Communicating adherence to and changes in protocols, policies, and programs to staff is essential.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree preferred but not required.
3-5 years minimum management and supervisory experience in related field
Previous industry & customer service-related experience
10 hour or 40 hour OSHA preferred but training available to the right candidate
While performing the duties of this job, this position requires the ability to sit, stand, climb stairs, and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision and the ability to adjust focus. A Valid Vermont driver’s license is necessary.
The starting pay for this position is $60,000 with consideration in the case of an individual offering exceptional experience and critical skills. LRSWMD also has a generous benefit package including:
–100% medical, dental and vision for employee
–upon meeting minimal criteria 2% contribution to retirement fund
–accelerating vacation schedule starting with 10 days per year
–12 days medical leave annually with unlimited accrual
–2 personal leave days
–free weekly trash disposal, recycling, and composting